Tuesday, November 02, 2010

The Waiting Game Series: Part V

Parents joke about taking ridiculous amounts of photos of your first born, and subsequently fewer and fewer with each child. Well, I'll propose that at a certain age, that dynamic reversed itself. Is it because they're not as cute when they're older? Do kids do fewer adorable things in their pre-teens, or are they just vying less for camera time? Whatever it is, I have way fewer photos of my first and honored son than of anyone else. I still think he's cute. I just don't snap photos of him in his undies and bow-tie...and maybe that's only proper. Contrary to popular belief, I DO have a certain amount of judgement.




Eleven-year-old boys are hard to document on film. Most of Jared's "trying to be funny" moments come in the form of wit...perhaps more commonly referred to as sarcasm. And trust me, I don't want to preserve those moments for posterity. Do I understand my own mother's exasperation better now? Yes, I do.




  • For those of you dear family and friends who have not yet encountered the fickle creature known as a "pre-pubescent male child" let me shed light on what you may have to look forward to:
  • conversations that reveal their depth of character and understanding you never knew they had
  • growing awareness of other people's opinions
  • an overlapping mutual interest in music

These guys are actually Fun to hang out with. Maybe not in a large group, but one on one, cruising around, chatting about nothing and everything...it's like chilling out with a friend. I'll admit, I like this guy. He's learning to play guitar and has mastered the intro to some of our favorite songs. I hadn't realized before that, but he actually thinks I have cool music. That may be the last of my coolness for a while, but it feels good to have something of common interest. Since I'm not a football fan, don't get into video and computer games, am not a math whiz, and don't collect Chuck Norris jokes..we're not exactly cut from the same cloth anymore. But Jared takes us as we are, and we return the favor by rolling our eyes and ignoring the 11 year old humor when necessary. It's a give and take. It works.


1 comments:

Halle & Macy Emerick said...

Heather, I love you! You write so beautifully. You inspire me as a mother and I am so blessed to know you! These posts are precious. I love the way you have captured each child so perfectly. They are SO lucky to have you as their mom. And I am lucky enough to have you as a friend.