Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Jeremy Camp

MY niece, Juliette, and I went to a concert Friday night.

The last concert I went to was New Kids on the Block.

I was twelve...so quit snickering.
At the time I was the envy of my middle school.
NKOTB was a blast--I won't apologize for my fangirl mania.

I went with my friend, Leah Redding. We got matching floral print overall shorts, coordinating scrunchies for our off center ponytails, and a silver plated locket to keep as a memento of our time in the big city...Albuquerque. I screamed non-stop and ignored the fact that my beloved Jordan couldn't carry a tune when singing live. Leah refused to waste a moment screaming and instead savored her time staring at the little dot that was her favorite new kid, Joe McIntyre.

*sigh*
nostalgia

I take no credit for my taste in music. Any one growing up in crazy town Roswell is granted immunity for lack of cultural sophistication.

So, taking into consideration my prior taste in music--or at least my tendency to ignore crummy music and squeal over poofy haired pretty boys--proceed with caution.

Juliette and I saw Bebo Norman, Natalie Grant, and Jeremy Camp. They're christian rock artists and not my typical genre, but they were surprisingly non-trite for the most part and I was impressed by their earnestness. Granted, it may not take much to top NKOTB, but this rock concert...rocked. Prior to the concert I was only familiar with one song from one artist: Jeremy Camp: There Will be a day

And that was the last song of the night.

It was totally worth the drive to Portland.
Bebo Norman: Inventive name. Fantastic voice.
Natalie Grant: Not Related to Amy Grant. Fantastic band behind her.
Jeremy Camp: His little girls danced on the stage with him in a die-of-cuteness moment. He can lead my sing-along any time.

I'm no longer a sucker for bouffant boy hair and perfect orthodontic smiles. I prefer the real man (with no hair and a naturally perfect smile that still pierces me) who walks through my front door every evening. So let me now recommend that you not add New Kids on the Block to your iTunes favorites. But it might be worth your time to check out these three artists. They each have a couple of songs, at least, that are truly stellar.

And if you ever want a fantastic girl's night out, let me recommend Juliette. She could make Chinese water torture fun. (not that Bebo is water torture, quit putting words in my mouth)

*love that girl*










0 comments: