Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Ordinary day


Today was our last day with Grandma here, so I ran errands, she helped get the house in order, we took her to the airport, then went to dinner and the park. Jared and Emma roller bladed/skated. We came home and skated and toddled around outside some more. I put Finley to bed, slipped a library DVD into the player and headed out to mow the lawn. That, my friends, was our very ordinary Tuesday.

But even ordinary days can't go by without my Spragueling doing extraordinary things. After we came in from skating Emma was critiquing her own progress and lack of skill. And Jared piped in and pointed out all of the things she did well as she learned to skate today. I heard him say, "This is only your second day ever to skate, and you only fell two times. That's impressive, I sure fell a lot more when I was just learning. And you're really steady, too. I think you're learning really quickly, you're pretty good already." I could have just picked him up off of his feet in a great big hug, and sung the praises of a big brother who chose to build his little sister up instead of tearing her down. With all the nit-picking, bickering, rivalry, etc. that can sometimes go on it is a beautiful moment to overhear my littles being their very best selves. My mama heart is happy, and I love this little life.

0 comments: